Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Well, I did it.

I made Madelynn a dress today.  Two dresses actually.  The first one to way longer than the second.  That's for sure!

I found this tutorial to make a dress a shirt dress.  I looked at it and though, "huh, I bed I can do that."  I was right.  I could.  But it definitely wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be.  I'm sure if I had a serger it would have been way easier.  But, I don't.  So, it wasn't.  I still liked the end results though.

I started out where I was going to take a picture of every step of the dress.  That changed quickly when I started having sewing machine problems.  I don’t know what was wrong but the sewing machine was eating my thread.  I figured out twice that I had it threaded wrong.  And once I turned the tension down because the thread was stuck and I forgot to turn it back up.  But the rest of the time, I have no clue.  So I’m just going to show you the finished product.  I like how it turned out.  I think the neck is a little to wide.  I added a mini pocket to it.  I actually cut the pocket of the original shirt for it.  I also made a tie instead of a whole waist band because I didn’t have any fabric for the waist band.

SDC15812 this is the front view.

SDC15821 Another front view cause I think it’s cute.

SDC15804 The back.

See it’s cute.  Just not exactly perfect like the one in the tutorial.  Oh well.  Casey has tons of old button up shirts so I can definitely try again.

 

Now onto the t-shirt dress.  I saw somewhere that you could make an old t-shirt into a dress.  Well I decided to try after the button up shirt dress.  I used the same basic outline as the button up shirt dress.  Instead of cutting a collar I just left the one on the t-shirt intact.  Then for the sleeves instead of making them wider at the bottom I just made them straight.  This one took me a total of 30 minutes at the most.  It probably wasn’t even that long.  Again I think the neck is to wide but I can fix that on this one by just putting a t-shirt underneath it.  It’ll give it a super cute double layer look.  I made it out of Casey’s Star Wars t-shirt that he really loved but it was to small for him.  I really like the way this dress turned out.  I made a few mistakes but I know how to fix them now.  I’ve for sure gonna make more of this kind in the future.

SDC15832 The front.

SDC15833 The side.  It was really hard to get a good picture of her in this dress.  I’m going to try to take more later.

I’ve decided making toddler dresses this way is the way to go.  You can get an old t-shirt or button up shirt at a resale store for a dollar or less most of the time.  For the shirt dress you need to buy elastic.  It’s only $2 for the kind you need but that’ll make a least 3 dresses if not more.  So if you get 3 button up shirts for $1 each plus the elastic, you’re making 3 toddler dresses for $5.  That’s what you pay for 1 at the store if you’re lucky.  Most of the time they’re more than that.  And the t-shirt dresses are even cheaper.  You don’t need elastic for those.  Most of the time t-shirts are like a quarter at resale.  I love clothes.  That’s probably my biggest spending problem is buying Madelynn clothes.  So I’ve found my way to love clothes and save money.  I’m pretty excited.  Next week I’ll show you how I made me skirts out of old jeans that have holes in the knees.  I’m never gonna buy a jean skirt again.

2 comments:

Amy said...

omg too cute! i love the shirt dress!

Vicki said...

Eliza, those are seriously cute!!! I love both of them! Very very good job. =)