Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Success!

Sleep training has been a success!!! Last night I laid Madelynn down and she just went to sleep. She didn't fuss at all. Just made a few noises and then was out. I was so excited that I almost wanted to cry. My baby doesn't need me to put her to sleep at bedtime anymore. And that's a good thing! At first I hated the idea of letting her cry it out. Then I read a bunch about it and talked to some people and I decided that it was probably the way to go for me. I tried it a few times but never got past a half an hour. I couldn't take listening to Madelynn cry and then going to calm her down only to have her cry even harder when I walked away. Amy encouraged me to do it. She told me how she remembered it was hard for her but if I kept starting and stopping cause I couldn't take it would be even harder for me in the long run to get her to learn to go to sleep. So I decided a week ago that I was going to do it and it was going to work and I wasn't going to give up because I couldn't take it. The first 2 nights were a complete failure. She just cried for a whole hour and like 15min no stop, even when I went to calm her she would barely stop and then when I walked away it got even worse. I almost gave up after those 2 nights but Casey and Amy kept me with it. The third night Madelynn cried the whole time but fell asleep on her own in 56min. I was so excited! I knew she could do it. Then the fourth night was 53min but still non-stop crying, The fifth night was 53min but only 44 of it was crying. She was definatly improving. The next night it only took her 40 minutes, then only 35, and then only 15. And last night, I laid her down and she put herself to sleep with no fussing or crying. She made some grunting noises like she was trying to get situated and comfortable. But that was it. I'm so glad I stuck with it this time. Now I wish I would have done it sooner instead of trying and giving up all those times.
I'm going to give it a week and then I think I might try to get her to go to sleep at nap time. But that one's going to be alittle harder since I have to have a schedule then. I don't work well on schedules. I tend to be a more go with the flow kind of person. So we'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Amy Matthews said...

YAY I am so excited that she is doing it on her own. You will both be happier. Don't forget that there are always bumps in the road, sh emay do fine for a few nights then decide to cry for a while the next. Just don't mess up her routine unless she is sick or something, teething is coming next. That could be a challenge. I think that Madelynn was trying to give you guys a break because it was your anniversary yesterday :)